No tomatoes here! Fresh sage, sautéed mushrooms, and perfectly roasted butternut squash make up the base for this savory take on classic lasagna.
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 ½ lbs. baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ lb. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium shallots, sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tsps. fresh thyme, chopped
- Dash of nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 9oz package of no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 15oz containers whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9x13" glass baking dish with olive oil and set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, or around 10 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir while cooking for an additional minute. Increase heat to high and add mushrooms. While stirring, cook mushrooms until tender, or around 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the finished mushroom mixture to bowl and set aside.
- Add cubed butternut squash, sliced shallots, milk, fresh thyme, 2 Tbsps. of fresh sage, and dash of nutmeg to skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover skillet and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer over medium heat until squash is tender, around 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until squash is very soft, or around 5 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix ricotta, 1 ½ cups of parmesan cheese, 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, and 1 Tbsp. sage in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in eggs.
- Take greased baking dish and spread 1 cup of the cheese mixture over bottom. Arrange 3 no-boil lasagna noodles over cheese mixture. Spread 1 cup of the cheese mixture over noodles, then spread 1 ½ cups of your squash mixture over your cheese mixture. Spread ½ cup of your mushroom mixture over all, then ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat all layers, finishing with a layer of mozzarella and the last ½ cup of parmesan cheese.
- Cover with oiled foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and starting to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.