A winter classic that is sure to leave bellies full and hearts warm, you can’t go wrong with a steaming cup a beef stew.
- 6 oz bacon chopped
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (cut into 1” pieces)
- 2 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups good dry red wine
- 4 carrots peeled and cut
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups of beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb small potatoes halved or quartered
- In a large, oven-proof pot, sauté bacon over medium heat until golden brown and fat is released. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a separate bowl.
- While bacon is cooking, place beef in a large mixing bowl and season with 1/2 Tbsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Sprinkle beef with 1/4 cup flour and toss to combine and evenly coat beef. Transfer beef in 2 batches into the hot bacon fat and cook over med/high heat, until beef is browned (3 min per side). Add olive oil if needed. Transfer browned beef to the bowl with bacon.
- Add 2 cups wine to the pot and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom to deglaze the pot. Simmer over medium heat about 10 min.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add sliced carrots, diced onion, and 4 chopped garlic cloves, and sauté 4 min. Add 1 Tbsp tomato paste and sauté another minute. Transfer veggies to the soup pot.
- Add 4 cups beef broth, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Return beef and bacon to the pot then add potatoes. Stir to combine and make sure potatoes are submerged in liquid. Cover with lid and bake at 325˚F oven for 1 hour and 45 min.