For perfectly cooked turkey meat that is both moist and flavorful try a deconstructed turkey.
How to Deconstruct a Turkey
- With the turkey breast-side up, pull leg away from body and cut skin between breast and drumstick.
- Bend leg back until thigh bone pops out of socket. Cut through joint and skin to detach whole leg. Repeat on other side.
- Turn turkey on its side and pull wing away from body. Cut through joint and remove wing. Repeat.
- Cut down through rib bones and shoulders, separating breast from back.
- Turn breast skin-sde down. Split center bone (this may take a few passes), then slice meat and skin to make 2 pieces.
- Turn leg skin-side down and cut through joint to separate into drumstick and thigh along fat line.
Deconstructed Turkey Recipe
- If using, arrange herbs and vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.
- Fit wire rack into baking sheet and add 1/2 cup water.
- Pat dry cut-up pieces of one 12 to 16 lb turkey.
- Rub with 3 tbsp olive oil and season with 1 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Arrange on rack so that breast pieces are at outside edges, with tapered parts facing in. Place thighs and legs next to breast and wings in the middle.
- Roast at 450 for 55 to 75 minutes rotating pan twice during cooking, until golden brown and temperature reaches 165 in thickest part of thigh.
- Transfer breasts to a cutting board and loosely cover with foil.
- Reserve juices from baking sheet if using for gravy. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Transfer wings and dark meat to a platter; loosely cover with foil.
Article courtesy of Food Network Magazine.