A fresh, fast and satisfying meatless dinner.
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces gemelli pasta
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces (about 8 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 radishes, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 2/3 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives and/or basil)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, adding the snap peas during the last 2 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and peas.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper; cook until the garlic is softened, about 1 minute. Add the radishes and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add half of the reserved pasta cooking water and cook until the vegetables are tender, 2 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta and snap peas to the skillet along with the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, the parmesan and all but a few tablespoons of the herbs; toss to coat, adding enough of the reserved pasta cooking water to loosen. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the ricotta, 1 tablespoon water, the lemon zest and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Top each serving with the lemon ricotta and the remaining herbs.
Photograph by David Malosh
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine