Start by preheating your oven, then stuff and wrap that turkey up for a mouth-watering taste!
Let’s Cook a Turkey!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After removing the neck and giblets season your turkey inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Fill the cavity with chopped onions, carrots and celery then tie the legs together with twine.
- Place breast side up in a roasting pan and add 2 cups of water then brush turkey with melted butter.
- Tent with foil and roast about 2 hours for a 10 to 12 pound turkey, add an extra 15 minutes per pound for larger birds.
- Uncover and brush with butter and increase the heat to 425 degrees, roast until the thigh meat registers 165 degrees, should take another hour.
- Let rest 30 minutes before carving
Turkey Cheat Sheet
- How Much Meat Per Person? 1 to 1 1/2 pounds turkey per person
- How Long Does It Take to Thaw a Turkey? 24 hours per every 5 pounds
- How Much Salt Goes In Brine? 3/4 cup kosher salt for every gallon of water needed to cover the bird
- How Long to Brine a Turkey? 8-plus hours in the refrigerator
- How Long to Roast a Turkey? 20 minutes per pound
- At What Temperature Is Turkey Cooked? The thigh meat and stuffing (if used) should register 165 degrees F
- How Long to Rest a Turkey? 30 minutes before carving
Article courtesy of Food Network Magazine.