This beautiful, sweet jam makes lovely gifts.
Over-the-Top Cherry Jam
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min.
PROCESS: 5 min.
YIELD: 6 half-pints
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 4-3/4 cups sugar
- In a food processor, cover and process cherries in batches until finely chopped. Transfer to a Dutch oven; stir in pectin and butter. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into 6 hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home.