Thanksgiving dinner is all about the side dishes. Check out these favorites!
Basic Mashed Potatoes Recipe:
- Put 2 pounds whole peeled russet or Yukon gold potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water, add 2 tablespoons kosher salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender about 45 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, then peel and return to the pan, add 1 cup hot milk and ¼ to 1 stick room temperature unsalted butter. Mash with a potato masher or fork. Season with salt and pepper.
Basic Gravy Recipe:
- Bring 8 cups chicken broth to a simmer. When the turkey is done, transfer it to a cutting boasd, pour the turkey pan drippings into a degreasing cup. Add ½ cup hot broth to the roasting pan and scrape up any bits stuck to the pan, add to the degreasing cup.
- Spoon ½ cup fat from the top of the degreasing cup into a sauce pan. Add ½ cup flour, cook over medium heat stirring until golden about 4 minutes. Slowly add the hot broth, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the rest of the juices from the cup (leave the fat behind) and simmer, whisking until thick about 10 minutes and season with pepper.
Basic String Bean Recipe:
- 1 pound French string beans remove ends 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 tablespoon olive oil Salt and pepper
- Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling water for 1 ½ minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water. Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add the drained string beans to the hot butter and oil season with salt and pepper, tossing until the beans are hot and ready to serve.