The red color is festive and fun for Christmas morning or Valentine’s Day.
- 2cups flour
- ¼cup granulated sugar
- 2tablespoons cornmeal
- 1Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 2large eggs separated
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- ½teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2Tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 ¾cup buttermilk
- 4Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Heat waffle iron. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk yolks with vanilla, vinegar, buttermilk, and butter in a large measuring cup or small bowl. Stir in red food coloring.
- Beat egg whites until it just holds a 2-inch peak.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients in a thin steady stream while gently mixing with a rubber spatula; be careful not to add liquid faster than you can incorporate it. Toward the end of mixing, use a folding motion to incorporate ingredients; gently fold egg whites into the batter.
- Spread the appropriate amount of batter onto the waffle iron. Following manufacturer’s instructions, cook waffle until golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining waffles.