A fun and festive red, white and blue recipe that starts with a family favorite… little cocktail smokies!
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crumbled strong blue cheese, such as Maytag blue
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup), plus extra ribs cut into sticks for serving
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 48 cocktail hot dogs
- 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce, plus extra for drizzling, such as Frank’s
- 24 slider potato rolls
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup blue potato chips, crushed with your hand
- Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise and blue cheese in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until smooth, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes, and then stir in the celery.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until melted. Add the hot dogs and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce and cook until the hot dogs are coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Slice vertically through each potato bun, about halfway through so it resembles a top-split hot dog bun, and place 2 buffalo dogs in each. Top with 1 to 2 teaspoons of the blue cheese sauce, a drizzle of hot sauce (as spicy as you like it), some red onions and crushed blue chips.
- Serve the sliders with any extra blue cheese sauce and celery sticks on the side for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine.