Add a patriotic twist to a classic coleslaw side dish with bright blueberries and tasty red onion.
- 1 small or 1/2 large head green cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch wide strips (about 6 cups)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 strips bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toss the cabbage, onion, bacon, blueberries, mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl and toss to coat with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours.
- Stir in the pecans and season with salt and pepper just before serving. Sprinkle with reserved the bacon, berries and nuts.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine.