Everything is better with bacon! Celebrate the fall season with this sweet and savory dessert!
Yield: 8-10 servings
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon, divided
- ¾ cup flour, divided
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter, divided
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- ½ package of 14-15 oz refrigerated pie crusts (1 pie crust)
- 6 cups cooking apples
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. Bourbon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Mix brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and ½ cup flour in medium bowl. Cut in ¼ cup (4Tbsp) butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in bacon.
- Place crust in 9-inch pie plate as directed on package for one-crust filled pie.
- Place apples in a large bowl. Add remaining cinnamon, remaining flour, granulated sugar, salt, nutmeg, bourbon, and vanilla. Gently mix then spoon into crust.
- Cut remaining butter into small pieces; place evenly over apple mixture.
- Cover with crumb topping. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F; back another 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Cool and serve with ice cream, if desired.